Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Work Wednesday: Express Yourself






"Dress for the job you want, not the job you have."

When I started my marketing job, I quickly learned about our company dress code. Not because I was told what to wear, but because I learned it for myself. Everyday, I was very observant. I took mental notes of what people were wearing. After seeing my co-workers five times a week, I noticed a few things about their style. Everyday, my co-workers wore black pants and black shoes. The only thing that would consistently change was their shirt. As the new girl who was trying to figure out everything, I wore black pants everyday too. 

But after a couple weeks, I got bored. After wearing black pants to work everyday, it was only a matter of time that I would get tired of them and want to dress differently. This was when I realized that I don't need to wear my new Anorak jacket or trendy colored jeans to be stylish. I could be stylish in a more professional way. I wasn't confined to wearing black pants like I thought I was. There are a million different ways of dressing for work and I'm ready to find out!

As you can tell, I have a strong interest in fashion and I like to express myself through what I wear. So I'll leave you with this: whatever you wear, wear it proud and don't forget to express yourself. :)

Top: Gap
Coat: H&M - similar
Skirt: H&M - similar
Heels: Target - similar
Tights: Nordstrom
Belt: Forever 21 - similar
Earrings: Nordstrom - similar